I wanted to write a quick post to make sure everyone understands what WeMakeFilms.net is all about.
We’ve had a few applications for roles in a shoot, where the member got upset when they realised that they have to pay into the pot to get the role in an upcoming shot. So I thought I would explain how it works, so there is no confusion about what we do.
At WeMakeFilms, our members club together to make short films. Members have the opportunity to apply for all the roles from director to production runner. However, EVERY role pays a shoot day fee. So each day they are on the shoot they pay a day rate. The basic day rate is £50. Depending on your membership levels, various discounts apply, see our (membership levels page).
What is the shoot day fee for?
All the shoot day monies raised is ring-fenced for that film it is only used to make and promote the film (i.e. film festivals), and everyone pays into the pot. Should the film make money (to be fair, that is pretty unlikely) those that put in will get a percentage of that
WeMakeFilms does not profit from the shoot day fees. So we are not charging you for a role you are investing in your film that you will have helped to create. If it’s a comedy, you might help make someone smile. If it’s a thriller, you might make someone’s spine tingle. Hopefully, the very least you will help to do is entertain some people.
What do you get out of joining a shoot
- Well, you get the experience of working and collaborating on set.
- You get to network with other people like directors, actors and crew. In this business, it’s all about who you know.
- You get to learn from others experience and by actually seeing how it’s done. You also get to help others learn and grow their skill set.
- You will learn how to use all the equipment to grow your technical skillset. You get to learn the protocols and etiquette on set.
- Certain levels of membership can have access to the clips to use in their showreel.
- You will get an IMDB credit for your part in the film see the credits for our first shoot at Dear John.
- Should the film win any awards, you will be part of an award-winning film.
But most important is that we all get on and enjoy the day. It is meant to be educational and fun.
This is a new concept and a way of making movies where everybody pays a small amount in, but as a collective, we can make great films, learn, grow and have fun.
I hope this helps you understand what we are trying to achieve and how it is done. If you are interested in taking up a role head over to the website log-in and go to April’s shoot and see what you would like to do.
Creator of WeMakeFilms